Do cheap grocery shopping. We all want that, but this is not always easy.
Do you sometimes feel that all your money is spent on food? People spend a lot of money on groceries and eating out. The moment you have to turn every dime you can’t help but cut back on this. But how do you best handle this.
It is not only more conscious shopping, but also making changes to your daily routine. We had the pizza delivery boy deliver regularly and often went to the snack bar. I found it very pleasant to go have lunch with friends and then go shopping. That is double wrong for your budget.
By implementing a few of the tips below in our daily pattern, I managed to save a lot on groceries. The routine is now so integrated with us, that I don’t even have to think about it anymore. The change of supermarket alone saves us a few tens a week!
Do you also want to know how you can change your purchasing behavior and save on your shopping budget? Here are a lot of tips for you.
So let’s start with my 20 tips for you.
1. Create a weekly schedule menu. By making a plan you have a hold, do not deviate from this. Plan healthy meals and write down how much you need for your breakfast, lunch and snacks. This prevents that you don’t have enough at home and then goes out to dinner or have something delivered.
2. Make sure you have enough stock for when the day runs differently than planned. Think of macaroni, box of herbs / sauce, canned tomatoes and a can of smac or cans of soup. It is always handy to have a stock so that you can still prepare something.
3. Make a shopping list based on your weekly schedule and stick to it. And determine in advance how much you will bring in sweets or cookies. We often take too much with us and it is quickly spilled up. My son can eat cake or biscuits all day, so at one point I said that I brought two packs of biscuits and one pack extra for the weekend and that’s it. He had to do it with this. In the beginning the biscuits where finished after two days, now he doesn’t eat the can in one go. Just continue, but it pays.
4. If you have a busy schedule, make sure you have easy, fast meals on your schedule. Here on the blog follow recipes for quick, cheap meals.
5. Spit through the brochures every week. See which vegetables are on sale, for example, and make good use of them. But watch out, because now do not put all the tasty things that you encounter on your list. You don’t have to buy what you don’t need. It may then be on sale, but it is not free. All together added up can then again become an account. Supermarkets try to make the offers so attractive that you give way to this. Stay aware!
6. Know what your basic prices are. If you know what you normally have lost for the basic messages, then you can compile roughly your budget. Stay aware of your minimal loss.
7. Buy a freezer if you don’t have one yet. If the meat is on sale, buy something extra and freeze it. With me there are also many containers with, for example, ready-made macaroni in the freezer. It is difficult to cook macaroni for two plates. Then I make a whole pan and freeze portions. When I have an evening shift, I get a portion from the freezer for my son. He only needs to heat it up in the microwave and then he also has a healthy meal.
8. Try home-made snacks. This is much cheaper than buying ready-made. For example, bake off croissants, hot dog sandwich, hamburger sandwich and bake apple flaps yourself. For the money from one apple flap at the bakery, you make four yourself. That is quickly earned.
9. When making your shopping list, pay attention to which products you choose. If there is a brand in the brochure on offer, it is often even more expensive than the private brand. Have you done smart shopping? So no. Don’t fall for all those brands, a lot of A-brands come from the same factory as the cheaper private brands. Give it a try. Of course I also have a number of products that I really only want from a certain brand, because if something is cheap and I really don’t like it, it is also a waste of money. Take a look at the store and find the cheaper products, these deliberately place the supermarkets lower on the shelves. People quickly grab something that is seen at eye level.
10. This tip really works. Don’t go shopping with a feeling of hunger. I really catch myself when I have to eat that I throw more in the shopping cart. You have an appetite for everything and the temptation is great.
11. Compare prices from various supermarkets. Ok, if I go to a cheaper supermarket it may not be all neatly on the shelves, but I don’t pay for that either. After all, I pay for the products. I first went to a more expensive supermarket, a nice store, but now I certainly lose € 30 per week less. That is more than € 120 per month. That ticks nicely.
12. Think ahead. If you have a birthday to celebrate next month and now certain drinks are on sale, take them with you. Next month you pay the full pound again.
13. Check regularly whether your budget that you reserve for the groceries is real. Are you really short or you have left, adjust it in your budget.
14. Grab a bike more often or go for a walk. By collecting small amounts more often on the bike instead of many bags at the same time as the car, you save on fuel. however, pay attention, because shopping more often can be a pitfall for some. You will often be tempted to buy tasty things that you do not need.
15. If you have a certain budget in mind and do not want to give up, take this amount in cash. You will be less tempted to take more with you if you do not have the ability to pin.
16.Do not buy pre-cut vegetables, these are much more expensive than the vegetables that you still have to cut yourself. You pay for convenience for that. Quickly deserves it.
17. Don’t go out too often for lunch or buy lunch at work or school. This costs more than you lubricate yourself at home and take with you. If you buy your lunch every day, that’s a good amount every month. Just work it out for yourself.
18. If you cannot make ends meet with your budget, check whether you are eligible for the food bank. Please don’t be embarrassed, the food bank is not for nothing and you are certainly not the only one. It is better to put your pride aside for a moment than to have red numbers on your bank account.
19. Remember that eating out costs a lot of money if you do this regularly. it is easy and cozy, but it is and remains a luxury. Especially if you have to live on a limited budget.
20. Every supermarket does have regular savings campaigns and / or purchase stamps. Take a good look at whether this is cost-effective and whether you first have too many costs. If I don’t have a large amount of groceries, I sometimes buy points of sale. I save this and last Christmas I could do Christmas shopping for the Christmas dinner. At Christmas you spend a little more on groceries and that only cost me my points of sale at that time. It is of course your own money, but I did not feel it in my bank account at that time. Still good food! Now I am saving for a delicious barbecue this summer.
They’re many tips, I know. But I still wanted to give you a good list. Don’t make it too difficult for yourself and just start with a few tips at a time. If you find that you can really save a lot of money, it becomes a challenge to move on.
Did you find this blog post interesting?
Do you want to share it with your network and community?
Very simple by using the Share buttons at the top and bottom of this message.
Thank you very much!
Over the last 20 years Jolanda has raised her son by herself and has experienced how hard life can be for a single mother. Health issues, losing her job, relationship issues and financial problems where just a few of the hurdles that life had in store for her.
But she always comes back from that valley and she picked herself up. Always taken other steps to see where it could take her. Looking for possibilities instead of impossibilities. That's her motto!
She is a budget coach, a life coach and has much down to earth Dutch experience.
She is most known for her blogs about saving money, making money, her printables and many tips and advice about life itself.